Derek is a graduate of the University of Alberta, Faculty of Law. After articling in Edmonton and getting admitted to the Alberta Bar, he returned home to Calgary in 1995. From 1995 to present, Derek has worked as a Plaintiff’s personal injury lawyer at several Calgary law firms.
Derek has extensive court experience having appeared in the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, Alberta Court of Appeal, and the Provincial Court of Alberta.
Derek has extensive alternative dispute resolution experience having participated in approximately 100 private mediations, or Judicial Dispute Resolutions to date.
Since 2004, Derek has written a number of papers regarding the Minor Injury Regulation. He also has extensive volunteer experience.
Derek is an avid golfer, hockey player and skier.
- Alberta, 1994
- LLB, University of Alberta, 1993
- Comm, University of Calgary, 1989
Awards and Recognitions
- Listed in LEXPERT® as ‘Repeatedly Recommended’ leading practitioner in the area of personal injury law
Alberta Court of Appeal
- Pfob v Bakalik, 2004 ABCA 278 affirming 2003 ABQB 819
- Fernandes (Estate) v Fernandes, 2000 ABCA 190
Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench
- McDonnell v Csaki, 2014 ABQB 452
- Marchand v Brar, 2008 ABQB 470
- Avco Financial Services of Canada v Peterson Pontiac Buick GMC (Alberta) Inc., 1995 CanLII 9059 (AB QB)
Provincial Court of Alberta
- Nazir v 116847 Alta. Ltd. (CNC Components), 2011 ABPC 217
- Mohacsi v Heritage Auto Sales (Calgary) Ltd., 2003 ABPC 163
- R v Ko, 2002 CanLII 20001 (AB PC)
- Board Member & Secretary, Gems of Mazatlan, February 2017 to present
- Chair (2015-2016), Vice Chair, and Treasurer, CAUSE Canada, 2012 to 2016
- Chair (2011-12), Board Member, and Volunteer Lawyer, Calgary Legal Guidance, 1995 to 2013
- Personal Injury Section Board Member (1998-2008) and Chair (2006/07), Section Coordinator (2008-2010), Canadian Bar Association, 1996 to 2010
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Law Society of Alberta